[j-nsp] bgp peer flapping

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Apr 27 11:54:02 EDT 2017

On 27 April 2017 at 03:59, Alexandre Snarskii <snar at snar.spb.ru> wrote:

> Having each peer in its own group is one of the best ways to shoot
> yourself in the foot: instead of all peers with same egress policies
> share RIB-Out, in this model each one will have its own RIB so memory
> use will go through the roof.. (well, at least in SP scenario, where
> most peers need to keep full-view in RIB).

This should not be true anymore. When looking into ORR I raised this
concern to JNPR, because in ORR you essentially need group per
neighbour to have unique view per neighbour, and I was worried about
RIB scale exploding.
However JNPR said that they do not anymore create unique copy of RIB
just because there is new group. I didn't manage to figure out which
release it has come and how it works, but supposedly it's before ORR,
and ORR came in 15.1F4 so at least that and newer releases should be
memory-friendly to large amount of groups.

--
  ++ytti