[j-nsp] EX3400 or EX4600, and HPE FlexFabric-20/40, QSFP+ DAC's

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Fri Dec 1 16:56:36 EST 2017

My experience with DACs in the wild is they're not worth the trouble. Even
if they "work" once you look closer you'll spot that they're not working
well. Lots of errors/corrections at higher rates etc. better luck with say
1m or truely active DACs but thing is (Q)SFP(+) was never meant to be more
than an interconnect between points on the same board and the signal timing
constraints, drive levels and basically every other design decision and
constraints reflect that. It's got a very short maximum distance.

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 13:18 Emille Blanc <emille at abccommunications.com>
wrote:

> To close this thread, DAC's appear to have been a wash.
> Using like-vendor branded optics on both sides, and we have a functioning
> 40Gbps link.
>
> Thanks for the feedback on, and off-list. :]

into trouble of all kinds."
-- Samuel Butler