[j-nsp] EX3400 experiences / software recommendation

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Dec 6 03:32:19 EST 2017

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 05, 2017 at 09:07:25PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> quick question about the EX3400 series... is one of you using them in
> earnest, and can recommend a software version?

Thanks for your feedback - and I find this interesting, that all replies
I got was "we use D56 and it is fine".

> One of my customers was sold four of them, and we see "funny things"
> (like, switch ports only forwarding ARP packets but no IP, bunch of
> copper GE ports going down and back up simultaneously with nobody
> near the box, untypical things in logs...) and "common wisdom" hints
> at "you want a more recent software version".

I found PR1282438 in the meantime, fixed in D57 - which matches one of
the funny explosions we saw.  Configured new VLAN, removed other VLAN
from some trunks at the same commit, and afterwards the switches acted
up extremely weird until I gave up and reloaded...

So, we'll upgrade, and see if that is more pleasant.

(And yes, there's virtualization things connected to these switches,
so VLANs *do* change... which shouldn't be something to worry about, no?)

gert
--
now what should I write here...