[j-nsp] What is your experience with the EX2200

Matt Freitag mlfreita at mtu.edu
Fri Dec 8 14:06:26 EST 2017

For some reason I also thought the EX2200 EOL date was coming up in a year
or two but cannot find any sources to prove that.

My only complaints about the box:

   - Sometimes when they lose power abruptly it corrupts the file system on
   the primary partition. Best way I know of to solve this is a complete
   reinstall of the OS on the routing engine.
      - This does not affect forwarding at all since the actual packet
      forwarding happens on a different unit of the box. You'll only see this
      when you try to SSH to it, for example, and it rejects your attempts by
      closing your connection.
   - It takes these things a few seconds to commit their config, but I
   think the routing engine runs on an 800MHz CPU and 512MB of RAM. They're
   also quite slow to SSH to, again due to the lack of CPU and memory.

Otherwise the EX2200 is a really solid platform, but as Saku said Juniper
moved to the EX2300 a long time ago.

Matt Freitag
Network Engineer
Information Technology