[j-nsp] Experience with Junos 15.1 on MX960?

Niall Donaghy niall.donaghy at geant.org
Tue Dec 12 14:19:59 EST 2017

Hello,

We are running 15.1F6-S6.4 on MX480 and MX960. No MC-LAG.
We rolled this out after Juniper PIIR and SURR, and our own internal type-certification process.
We needed F6 for EVPN and streaming telemetry features.
Several scary service-affecting bugs came out in the PBN notices, so we upgraded twice from the initial version and, hence, now on S6.4.

There are a number of threatening bugs in S6.4 still, but so far the experience has been good.

We are running RE-S-1800x4 so are immune to PR1312308.
Your REs are affected, therefore you should check the PR and TSB, which recommends 15.1F6-S10 or 15.1F7-S3.

PR1312308 https://prsearch.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=prcontent&id=PR1312308 - All protocols time out and FPCs are restarting after transient SSD freeze

I strongly recommend you do your due diligence in researching bugs affecting your proposed hardware and software versions; there be dragons.

I can tell you for 15.1F6-S6.4 we got 10 PBNs in October this year, thankfully none in November, and for December, let's see what we get for Xmas..
Br,
Niall

Niall Donaghy
Senior Network Engineer
GÉANT
T: +44 (0)1223 371393
M: +44 (0) 7557770303
Skype: niall.donaghy-dante
PGP Key ID: 0x77680027
nic-hdl: NGD-RIPE

Networks • Services • People
Learn more at www.geant.org​
​GÉANT is the collective trading name of the GÉANT Association and GEANT Limited.

GÉANT Vereniging (Association) is registered in the Netherlands with the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam. Registration number: 40535155. Registered office: Hoekenrode 3, 1102BR Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
GEANT Limited  is registered in England & Wales. Registration number: 2806796. Registered office: City House, 126-130 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1PQ, UK.