[j-nsp] Inline IPFIX sampling rate

Pyxis LX pyxislx at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 11:24:13 EDT 2017

Hi, Scott & Pavel.

The sampling rate of inline-sampling is always 1 since inline-sampling
process does NOT send samplingInterval(type 34, RFC5102) or
samplingPacketInterval(type 305, RFC7012) in information templates.

AFAIR there are some ambiguities on sampling rate in RFC5102, so
instead of referring to RFC3954(a.k.a. v9) which sends sampling rate
as type-34, MX sends nothing about sampling-rate.*

We ended up using NetFlow v9 on ASR/CRS/7750.

Here's the relevant thread on pmacct list. Again, I'm not sure this ER
got implemented or not.
https://www.mail-archive.com/pmacct-discussion@pmacct.net/msg02579.html

*Note: At least at 14.2 or 15.1.
  I'm not sure this got fixed or not in 17.2, but JTAC told us NOT to
use sampling on IPFIX(!)
  We chose not to use MX for this then :)

Hope this helps.

-PLX