[j-nsp] SRX HA ports and WDM transceivers

Youssef Bengelloun-Zahr bengelly at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 04:14:59 EDT 2017

Hello J-nsp community,

We are about to upgrade an SRX5600 cluster to a 4200 cluster.

In the process, we would like to enhance resiliency and availability by
using DWDM transceivers in the HA dedicated ports instead of MPLS pipes
over our backbone.

We've been over this with Juniper for years and the official feedback has
always been the same :

"It's not officially supported but nothing prevents you from doing trying /
doing it. If you open a case for stability issues and we detect it, we
won't be able to help"

We've also opened an ER via official chanels that was dismissed, of course.

In the end, my question is simple :

Do you use successfully DWDM transceivers (fixed vs tunable) on dedicated
HA ports (control-link) ? If so, how stable is it ? Are the transceivers
fully supported by the chassis ?

Thank you for your feedbacks.

Best regards.