[j-nsp] Junos CoS - ingress hierarchical policer

Dragan Jovicic draganj84 at gmail.com
Thu May 18 09:53:43 EDT 2017

You can do ingress shaping and Q-ing, but it will require both Q-ing chip
and changing default egress-only Q-ing to both ingress-and-egress (on MX at
least).
Something usually not done on egde router (I guess, depends on your 'edge').

Instead for such customers we prefer to install CPE at their premise where
such qos is done (marking+policing+egress shaping/Q-ing).

You should not use policers to chop packets from same flow to different
forwarding classes as this introduces reordering (e.g. if < 3M then
FC-CRITICAL, else FC-BE).
If using soft policing only try to remark loss priority or drop.

BR,

+Dragan