[j-nsp] [c-nsp] LACP between router VMs (James Bensley)

Chris Burton chris.burton at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 11 18:50:07 EST 2017

This has been discussed a few times on this list and other forums. That
being said, if you are looking to do this with Linux bridge you will
need to modify the net/br_private.h header library to remove the mask
restriction placed on using group_fwd_mask setting in /sys/class/net and
recompile the kernel to allow it forward LACP BPDU's.

If you are looking to use Openvswitch you can do as Sergio mentioned and
set the OVS bridge to allow forwarding of LACP BPDU's after you manually
add each interface, but if you want to use the default vmx.sh script to
bind the interfaces with OVS you will need to modify the
config/vmx-junosdev.conf file and add in "use_ovs_transport: True" as a
key, and depending on what version of OS you are running (I presume
Ubuntu 16.04) you may also need to modify the sub-script that vmx.sh
--bind-dev calls to prevent it from checking for the
"openvswitch-datapath-source" package. I have only tested OVS 2.6
(Ubuntu cloud repo) with version 16.1 of VMX, but unless the sub-scripts
are different for earlier or later versions it should work (but it is
unlikely to be supported since I do not see mention of using OVS in any
of the official Juniper documents, and they likely will not support this
even if OVS is supported as it breaks standards, same goes for LB mod's).

It should be understood though that you are breaking standards
compatibility and could create massive problems on the network, so
running this type of configuration outside of a lab environment should
fall under the do not do it category. If you are going to do this
production you should use physical NICs and SR-IOV with VF’s which
eliminates the issue as was mentioned by James.

-C