[j-nsp] layer 2 sp services

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Oct 10 09:42:55 EDT 2017

> Aaron Gould [mailto:aaron1 at gvtc.com]
> Sent: Monday, October 09, 2017 6:58 PM
>
> Alexander, Adam, et al,
>
> Do y'all know if I can test evpn in logical systems ?  I have read it's
not
> possible... but want to know if anyone has ever made it work.

Hey Aaron,

Sorry haven't played with EVPN in logical systems.
Logical systems are trouble,

What I'm using in concepts testing are simulated backbones, you just need to
get the same code you're using in production or intend to use for the new
rollout.
What is excellent about this is that you can simulate complete backbones
with this NFV approach (no approximations or abbreviations).
You don't have to have WANDL or SPIRENT/IXIA "simulating" parts of your
backbone for what if simulations you can have the real thing (well virtual
but with all its complexity).
When using the same version of code the control plane is the same so
whatever happens in the virtual lab would happen in production network.
You can connect the virtual lab to your standard OSS/BSS systems to get the
complete view -or test new ones (e.g. test SDN controllers, etc..).
And the best thing about this is that you can have multiple copies,
(streamlining the migration procedures from old setup to new setup on one
copy, developing new product on other copy)

But of course for the performance (Data-Plane) and scalability
(Control-Plane constrained by HW) testing you still have to test on the
exact same equipment as there is in production.

adam