[j-nsp] l2circuit down one side/up another

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Oct 20 12:59:35 EDT 2017

On 20 October 2017 at 19:39,  <sthaug at nethelp.no> wrote:

Hey,

>>      I had a hard time passing IS-IS thru Extreme Switch, give up after
>> 5m and used OSPF for that segment of our Pre-Prod Lab.
>
> There's nothing magic about IS-IS. We've had IS-IS running through
> Extreme switches many times (still have one such adjacency in our lab,
> running through one X460 and one X480). No problem.

Not proposing that 802.3 is magic, but I can imagine and have
experienced devices sensitive to ethertype value. Technically IS-IS
does not have ethertype, as that field is frame length. So switch
implementing ethernetII wouldn't even work incorrectly dropping IS-IS.
Hopefully we'll get IS-IS over ethernetII+IP some day.

--
  ++ytti