[j-nsp] Using a QFX5100 without QFabric?

Andrey Kostin ankost at podolsk.ru
Tue Oct 24 14:29:51 EDT 2017

QFX5100 are good as L2 devices for aggregation, we use them in
virtual-chassis. But be careful with planning any L3 services on them.
First, don't put public IPs on them because TCAM for filters is tiny and
programmed in a tricky for understanding way. As a result everything
that doesn't fit in TCAM is silently allowed. We observed that lo0
filters were "bypassed" this way and switch was exposed to continuous
brute-force attack. Second thing I can recall is that MPLS works only on
physical interfaces, not irb. And finally I had very mixed results when
tried to PIM multicast routing between irb interfaces and have to give
up and pass L2 to a router, didn't try it on physical ports though.

Kind regards,
Andrey Kostin