[j-nsp] STP in spine leaf architecture

Hugo Slabbert hugo at slabnet.com
Thu Oct 26 12:11:02 EDT 2017

On Thu 2017-Oct-26 18:35:35 +0530, Mehul gajjar <mdgajjar at gmail.com> wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>Can anybody give me knowledge how Spanning tree behaviour in spine/leaf
>data center architecture where qfx as a spine and leaf too.

I haven't done spine/leaf networks with QFX, but in a general a spine &
leaf setup should be L3 for interswitch links, so any STP should be local
to a given switch.  i.e. you may have STP domains on a leaf's local L2
domain, so on its edge ports / server-facing links, but that should not
extend upwards in the topology unless I'm missing something.

Here I'm just talking about a vanilla spine & leaf setup, not anything
Juniper-specific e.g. QFabric or VCF or whatnot.

If you're doing an overlay like VXLAN over top of the L3 underlay, then how
loops are managed would be specific to the overlay, with the addendum that
even if you manage to form a loop in the overlay somewhere/somehow, the
TTLs in the L3 underlay should still have looped frames in the overlay TTL
out.

I'd be curious about more specific details from folks running QFX in prod
in this type of setup.

Hugo Slabbert       | email, xmpp/jabber: hugo at slabnet.com
pgp key: B178313E   | also on Signal