[j-nsp] Unequal bandwidth on virtual chassis ports?

Chris Kawchuk juniperdude at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 17:16:00 EDT 2017

As VC uses IS-IS as it's underlying protocol (last time I checked), I believe there is a metric associated with each VC link. show virtual-chassis adjacency/database/etc.. should show those metics.

VC IS-IS will calculate the lowest-metric to the far-end PFE, and use that. I also recall that it counts packet-forwarding-engines inside the switch itself, and not switches per se as a hop/link count. For example, an EX4200 has 3 x PFEs inside the box, and depending on where/how you connect the back-side VC cables or front-side revenue ports as VC will affect how it sees the topology.

VC will not load balance across unequal-costs (a-la RSVP-TE or something), and doesn't use multiple paths (even if they're ECMP) to the destination either last time I played with it; but it's been a while ;)

VCF will do the ECMP-trick, BTW.

- CK.