[j-nsp] MX204 and copper SFP?

Niall Donaghy niall.donaghy at geant.org
Fri Apr 6 14:07:06 EDT 2018

Indeed, encapsulating a port speed in its name offers some convenience in
show commands, configuration groups, and interface-ranges; I would say the
value there is non-zero.

Going beyond that, how about logical tunnels (lt-), GRE interfaces(gr- and
gre), loopback interfaces (lo), Multiservices (ms-), SONET/SDH (so-) and the
various assortment?
Ref:
https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/concept/interfaces-
interface-naming-overview.html
This page seems to say that aside from PTX routers, where et- can be
10/40/100GE, et- == 100GE.
We know that's not the case as on MX204 and MX10k3, et- can be 40/100GE. I
guess they might update this page sometime..

Consider operators whose interface descriptions don't encapsulate the
relevant information, or worse still - whose operational interfaces may not
have interface descriptions at all.
In those cases it is *incredibly* useful to identify interface type by
interface name.
I would say identifying speed by name is an extension of that.

I don't see that moving to a generic prefix such as inf- is for the greater
good.

So now we have ge-, xe-, and et- meaning physical Ethernet interfaces - and
depending on your hardware, optics, and config - *likely* 1GE/10GE/100GE,
respectively ... but, maybe not.
Now with the speed variances, at least we can still say they're physical
interfaces.

Br,
Niall