[j-nsp] Going Juniper

Chris lists at shthead.com
Tue Apr 10 09:20:35 EDT 2018

Hi,

On 10/04/2018 11:07 AM, Chris via juniper-nsp wrote:
> I also have some vMX's deployed (they are running on top of Dell R740's
> with 3 x Intel X710 cards to give 12 x 10G interfaces). The painful part
> on getting the vMX to work was the host setup with KVM - the documents
> are severly lacking on Junipers side (but I have written up the exact
> instructions to get the most recent 18.1R1 release working on CentOS
> with no issues).

I have received more than a couple of requests for the guide, if anyone
else interested here is the steps I used for Ubuntu and CentOS as the
host OS with KVM:

https://gbe0.com/networking/juniper/vmx/centos-7-4-kvm-host-setup-for-juniper-vmx
https://gbe0.com/networking/juniper/vmx/ubuntu-14-04-kvm-host-setup-for-juniper-vmx

My guides are assuming that you are deploying a server with SR-IOV using
the Intel x710 family of NIC's. The CentOS 7.4 guide was written a few
days ago as I went through the install process from scratch for 18.1 to
finally move all of the hosts I have the vMX deployed on away from
Ubuntu to CentOS (personally I prefer Ubuntu but the old versions of
things that are required don't give me confidence and I have had the odd
kernel panic with Ubuntu running the vMX).

I also have the startup scripts (systemd for CentOS and init for Ubuntu)
included for the vMX so it will start on boot; surprisingly Juniper
doesn't give any instructions. I didn't have time to mess with selinux
on CentOS to get the systemd startup script to work so I disabled it
(the host is dedicated to the vMX anyyway); if you do figure out a way
to get it working I would love to know. Happy to help as well if you run
into any issues deploying it.