[j-nsp] Going Juniper

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Apr 18 11:10:51 EDT 2018

> On Apr 18, 2018, at 11:06 AM, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
>
> Juniper was founded 1996
> Lua was released 1993
> Ruby was released 1995
>
> And of course there was TCL before, and I'm sure other solutions
> before that. Embedding programming language to your tools isn't very
> new notion. Maybe route-maps are sufficiently simple to justify their
> existence, but RPL decidedly looks like it's suffering NIH and would
> have been cheaper and better if they used some existing language.

Not really as IOS-XR was started around the time that Juniper was started.

Also suggesting that a language invention equals broad knowledge in the
industry of how to use it properly, what it’s capabilities are, etc is
misleading.

Just because DNA could be sequenced, didn’t mean it was easy/cheap/accessible.

:-)