[j-nsp] apply-paths and address families

Antti Ristimäki antti.ristimaki at csc.fi
Thu Apr 19 14:49:34 EDT 2018

Hi,

It seems that in the HW the filter is programmed with addresses for the
relevant address family only:

foo at bar> show configuration policy-options prefix-list BGP-NEIGHBORS
|display inheritance
##
## apply-path was expanded to:
##     10.10.244.98/32;
##     2001:db8:0:f001:0:fe08:0:2/128;
##     10.10.255.1/32;
##     2001:db8:0:bad:c0de::1/128;
##
apply-path "protocols bgp group <*> neighbor <*>";

foo at bar> show configuration firewall filter RE-PROTECT term
ALLOW-BGP-SERVERS
from {
    source-prefix-list {
        BGP-NEIGHBORS;
    }
    protocol tcp;
    source-port bgp;
    destination-port 1024-65535;
}
then accept;

SMPC0(bar vty)# show filter index 2
Term Filters:
------------
   Index    Semantic  Properties   Name
--------  ---------- --------  ------
       2  Classic    -         RE-PROTECT

SMPC0(bar vty)# show filter index 2 program
term ALLOW-BGP-SERVERS
    source-address
    10.10.255.1/32
    10.10.244.98/32

And for the IPv6 filter only IPv6 addresses are programmed,
respectively. We use generic apply-path prefix-lists without any
protocol specific regex and haven't encountered any issues so far. In
the past we used to have IPv6 BGP group names prefixed with "IPV6-" and
used 'apply-path "protocols bgp group <IPV6-*> neighbor <*>"'.

Antti