[j-nsp] Juniper route age reset behavior

Jeff Haas jhaas at juniper.net
Thu Apr 19 16:00:01 EDT 2018

Niall,

I'll answer clarifying questions, but hope to remain mostly silent while people offer their opinions.

On Apr 19, 2018, at 3:46 PM, Niall Donaghy <niall.donaghy at geant.org<mailto:niall.donaghy at geant.org>> wrote:
Jeff> Thus, a knob is being considered to have both the "only on-the-wire" impact or the "whenever the route's properties change" impact.

Can I suggest a knob with three options – the two you mention, plus an option to maintain /both/ timers? If that’s not feasible (for reasons you already eluded), so be it.
My preference is indeed for ‘best of both’.

I don't believe we'll be adding a second timer at this time.

We have proposals in mind that may permit variable sizing of some of our core data structures.  Once we have such a thing, we may consider such optional memory-hungry features.  I know I want to do several things with them. :-)

Jeff> The question being: What's the default?

As you indicated, quite a few folk on older hardware will be sensitive to resource impacts.
I suggest the default should be on-the-wire as this incurs the minimal CPU hit, as I understand it.

Please consider the extra CPU hit to be marginal.  It's the memory hit that's the main concern for having more than one timer.

-- Jeff