[j-nsp] Juniper vs Arista

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Aug 14 04:30:31 EDT 2018

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 at 09:35, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> The Arista code is so Cisco-like, and in our use-case, has done
> everything as advertised in the manuals and in the "Arista Warrior"
> O'Reilly publication. So we haven't had to struggle... but then again,
> our deployment is very simple - Layer 2 core switching.

I know what you mean, but 'code is Cisco-like' may not be read as
positive by every recipient. I think you more accurately mean 'CLI is
like classic IOS'.

ANET does not have much run way until they are forced to two image
future, due to 64b control-planes. Not that I care about at all how
many images vendors ship. Lot of it is just smoke and mirrors, like
inflating single package with mostly useless content to make it seem
like single image fits all.
Perhaps in future it's all very small (<5 0M) net install image, then
DEB/RPM all packages via local proxy to have functioning install for
specific target, with specific forwarding engines.

--
  ++ytti