[j-nsp] Juniper vs Arista

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Aug 14 05:01:53 EDT 2018

On Tue, 14 Aug 2018 at 11:38, Sebastian Wiesinger <sebastian at karotte.org> wrote:

> Do they have commit capability?

Yes, and it works.

In IOS-XR commit doesn't inherently work, because of how it's
designed. In JunOS commit inherently works. In IOS-XR BGP team owns
commit for BGP config, tunnel team owns commit for GRE, it's not
generic infrastructure issue if A=>B doesn't work, that's problem for
specific component team.  So you can find these impossible configs in
IOS-XR quite often, where you cannot move from arbitrary A to
arbitrary B.

Good acid test for sanity of design 'can I get output of _every_
command in serialised format', <100% coverage means poor and expensive
to maintain design.

Note, this is not trash on IOS-XR, you can find another argument where
JunOS and EOS look poor and IOS-XR looks great, it's merely topical
and important-to-me feature to get right. If you're CLI jockey
network, like most networks are, then it's not very important thing to
get right.

--
  ++ytti