[j-nsp] Silly command?

Thomas Bellman bellman at nsc.liu.se
Thu Dec 13 11:32:14 EST 2018

On 2018-12-13 16:10, Chris Adams wrote:

> While configuring a new MX204, I noticed this:
>
> admin at newrouter> request vmhost power-o?
> Possible completions:
>   power-off            Power off the software on RE
>   power-on             Power on the system
>
> Umm, why is there a CLI command to turn the router ON?

The command is to power on the *other* routing-engine:

    > request vmhost power-on ?
    Possible completions:
      other-routing-engine  Power on other Routing Engine

Power off, on the other hand, seems like it can be done either on
the current RE, or on the other RE:

    > request vmhost power-off ?
    Possible completions:
      <[Enter]>            Execute this command
      other-routing-engine  Power off other Routing Engine
      |                    Pipe through a command

I have never actually tried executing those commands, just checked
what is available with completion.  And reading the documentation:

    https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos/topics/reference/command-summary/request-vmhost-power-on.html

Why that command is available even on an MX204, which I believe
only has a single RE, I don't know.  (The only MX:es I have access
to are MX480s.)

	/Bellman