[j-nsp] EX4650 or QFX5120 Use Case

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Wed Dec 26 19:00:32 EST 2018

I have (9) qfx5120-48y-8c

{master:0}
root> show system information
Model: qfx5120-48y-8c
Family: junos-qfx
Junos: 18.3R1.11

I plan to deploy them fairly simply at this point

I plan to have (4) in each of my (2) DC's

DC1
(2) QFX5120's for Services vlans/evpns
(2) QFX5120's for SAN/iscsi type vlans/evpns

DC2
(2) QFX5120's for Services vlans/evpns
(2) QFX5120's for SAN/iscsi type vlans/evpns

Lab Spare
(1) QFX5120 for testing

...so that's the (9) QFX5120's...

...so pretty much each QFX5120 I plan to uplink like this...
(1) QFX5120 dual connected 40 gig lacp (80 gig ae) to (2) separate
MPC7E-MRATE linecards in (1) MX960,
...so there won't be 960 redundancy, but there will be power zone and
linecard redundancy

*** To be clear, I intend on the EVPN logic/config be on the MX960 only, and
not on the QFX5120 at this point
*** I intend on the QFX5120 to be an Ethernet switch with lots of 10/25 gig
interfaces, and dual 40 gig uplinks
*** I don't intend on mpls fordarding nor routing to occur in the QFX5120
*** I don't intend on VC'ing the (2) QFX5120's sitting side by side

...could this change?...perhaps, but this is where I'm at, at this point

The servers and vm's in the DC will dual connect (2) 25 gig to different
QFX5120's

If the MX960 is spine...
If the QFX5120 is leaf...
...I've seen/read/heard that you typically don't interconnect the leafs...
so I don't intend on interconnecting the leafs (QFX5120) together, but
rather bridge via the MX960.... BUT, I'm going to test an interconnect
east/west between (2) QFX5120's at a DC to see if I like it or in case we
have a necessity, I'll be ready... also, I'd imaging the active/active
m-home'd CE-to-PE EVPN as predicated on the dual CE (in this case dual qfx)
being interconnected, so I'll give it a whirl...

My EVE-NG lab has this pretty much already built out... examples of vMX and
vQFX are shown below... I think the newest vQFX junos is 18.1 so it's as
close as I could get to 18.3 which shipped on my qfx's

{master:0}
root at sabn-qfx-01> show system information
Model: vqfx-10000
Family: junos-qfx
Junos: 18.1R1.9
Hostname: sabn-qfx-01

root at sabn-960> show system information
Model: vmx
Family: junos
Junos: 18.2R1.9
Hostname: sabn-960

I will have more to share as I deploy/test/turn-up after the new year...

- Aaron