[j-nsp] vMX questions - vCPU math

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 14:39:49 EST 2018

On 30 December 2018 18:40:50 CET, James Bensley <jwbensley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Text with lots of typos

^ Sorry about that, on a mobile.

>I often make notes and never get around to publishing them online
>anywhere. Nearly 2 Yeats ago (where did the time go?) I was testing
>CRS1000v performance. This link might have some useful info under the
>HugePages and Virtualization sections:
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YUwU3T5GNgmi6e2JwgViFRO_QoyUXiaDGnA-cixAaRY/edit?usp=drivesdk

I forgot to mention that if you want high performance you might also want to isolate all except one CPU from Linux so that they can't be used for anything except your virtual machines (see the CPU tuning > Isolating section in those same notes).

Also you might want to disable any power saving modes in your CPU if you hate trees and want lower latency (see the CPU tuning > frequency section in those same notes).

There is also some notes on NUMA and PCI affinity.

Cheers,
James.