[j-nsp] Transit composite next hops

Luis Balbinot luis at luisbalbinot.com
Mon Feb 26 07:55:33 EST 2018

> My understanding is that "ingress" and "transit" in relation to CCNHs is
> just a very misleading nomenclature.
> If you want to go by definition CCNHs are pointers between VPN and NH label
> -and transit boxes have no knowledge of VPN labels so go figure...
>
> But there are still several levels of indirection in the next hop chain that
> transit routers can leverage in their FIBs.
>
> So what is the use case you're interested in?

None. I was only curious about transit CCNHs and how they managed to
derive information from transit traffic in order to create the CCNHs.
I questioned two SEs and neither came with a straight answer, so I
think even internally at Juniper this is some sort of black magic
restricted to a few Illuminati.

I do use ingress CCNHs, but mostly to make troubleshooting easier. I'm
far away from having tens of thousands of VPN entries that would
greatly benefit from that.

Luis