[j-nsp] Understanding limitations of various MX104 bundles

Eric Van Tol eric at atlantech.net
Fri Jan 5 09:49:25 EST 2018

> Beware the bundle upgrades on the MX104 – when we looked at these in 2016,
> for some reason that our VAR couldn’t explain it was cheaper to just throw
> the MX104-MX5-AC away and buy a brand new MX104-40G-AC-BNDL bundle rather
> than purchasing the MX104-MX5-40G-UPG license.

Yes, it's generally like that with all the absurd licenses on the low-end MX. Look at the price of an MX80, then look at the price of an MX5, upgraded gradually to an MX80 over time. Pay as you grow, indeed. It's actually cheaper to buy multiple other vendor routers entirely than to pay the exhorbitant license fees to upgrade one MX5 to support either the 2nd MIC slot or any one of the built-in 10G ports.

That said, we have found that original MX80-5, which I believe was the original part number prior to Juniper shipping actual MX5 "board branded" routers, have no restrictions. Not that we would take advantage of this, but it's good information to have in the event of a capacity emergency.

-evt