[j-nsp] Multicast through a switch

Alexander Marhold alexander.marhold at gmx.at
Tue Jan 9 04:54:08 EST 2018

Turning off IGMP-snooping means that every MC will be sent out on all
interfaces within the same vlan. ( like broadcast)

Turning OFF is needed when you have a pure Layer2 Multicast environment und
you cannot turn on any multicast Querier. or irb-interface with PIM enabled,
or.... ( every vendor has different solutions for pure L2-multicast to
overcome that problem)

The reason for that is that IGMP is a softstate protocol and the
IGMP-querier will check via asking if there  are still interested listeners
on that LAN, if no answer the multicast stream will be turned off, by the
Querier, or if there is no querier it will be turned off by the switch doing
IGMP-snooping after timeout ( typically 180 sec)

And the behavior is the same for all enterprise switches when they support
IGMP-snooping ( not only EX3300)

With best regards

alexander