[j-nsp] Multicast through a switch

adamv0025 at netconsultings.com adamv0025 at netconsultings.com
Tue Jan 9 08:44:51 EST 2018

Are you sure about the IGMP membership reports not being sent by the
receivers (even if queried)?
I mean having a static IGMP group configured at the GW for the L2 domain is
one thing, but the receivers(hosts) should be capable of sending reports
which in turn can be snooped by the L2 devices in the domain.
Like Alexander said turning off IGMP snooping is basically converting your
multicast to broadcast (it's a same sledgehammer as when you disable mac
learning to get packets across -other options should be considered first).
With that said, isn't there a static IGMP snooping config where you can
statically mark ports for the IGMP snooping database in order to overcome
the missing IGMP reports problem?

adam

netconsultings.com
::carrier-class solutions for the telecommunications industry::