[j-nsp] Upgrading from RE-S-2000-4096-S/SCB-MX960-S to RE-S-1800X4-32G-S/SCBE2-MX-S

Sebastian Becker sb at lab.dtag.de
Wed Jan 17 06:27:06 EST 2018

As already mentioned: SBE exchange requires a power down. But the REs can easily upgraded by replacing first the backup RE, install correct software there and sync config to it and then do a switch over.

Juniper does not support a longer period of mixed REs but the upgrading is supported. We have done that many times and it works quite well. Doing staging in a lab is from the logistic point for a bigger network not a good option.

One thing: We had issues if you boot up with one empty RE (no config and newer software). This might override the configured RE.

So maybe one approach will be:

1. Swap backup RE with the new one.
2. Upgrade new backup RE with software and config.
3. Power down the system
4. Replace all SBE with SCBE2 and insert only the new configured RE (was the new backup RE in 2.)
5. After boot insert second new RE and upgrade / configure it.

Done.

The good thing is that you have the old SBE and RE for any fallback almost untouched at the side.

—
Sebastian Becker
sb at lab.dtag.de