[j-nsp] QFX5100 vs ACX5048

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Mon Jul 2 07:58:35 EDT 2018

On 2/Jul/18 13:55, Duane Grant wrote:

> What if it’s Jericho?  Then you have something similar to the 5k ncs boxes?
>
> Have you tested Jericho and found significant limitations?

The NCS5000 failed our pre-test checklist from Cisco several months back.

I have to admit, I don't keep track of Broadcom's chips and what is
supported with each release, as I'm just too lazy, if I'm honest. Yes, I
do pay a bit of a premium for in-house chips, but the peace of mind is
worth the extra cost, over the course of the lifespan of the gear.

Which is not to say we'd never use Broadcom in the network - for
example, Layer 2 core switching or data centre aggregation is more than
fine on the Aristas we deploy. But when we need to enable IP or MPLS,
the hit & miss with Broadcom is just headache we don't need.

Mark.