[j-nsp] VPC mc-lag

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Tue Jul 3 16:29:57 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 10:19:56PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 3/Jul/18 16:45, Doug McIntyre wrote:
>
> > Overall, they do the same general function, allow a pair of switches to
> > port-channel/aggregated-ethernet a connection in a redundant fashion.
> >
> > The main difference with Juniper it is one of a variety of ways to
> > solve the same problem, between virtual-chassis, MC-LAG, virtual-fabric,
> > etc.
> >
> > So, the answer to your question is it is just each vendor's way to do
> > the same thing.
>
> I'm yet to hear of anyone trying to do MC-LAG between different vendors.
>
> Sounds like a proper recipe for disaster, AFAIK, if it'll actually
> launch off the pad...

Since side A does not know that side B is actually a "MC-LAG" (if
side B does things right) not sure where you expect problems.

A proper MC-LAG is not really that much different from "a LAG across
a stacked set of switches" or "a LAG across different line cards" - just
the coupling/learning protocol between the entities involved differs.

gert