[j-nsp] Segment Routing Real World Deployment (was: VPC mc-lag)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Fri Jul 6 12:26:12 EDT 2018

On 6/Jul/18 17:03, Aaron Gould wrote:

> Thanks, appreciate the thoughts/insights
>
> BGP-based ELINE ... Is this Kompella you speak of ?  If so, seems like a lot for a simply/quick p2p pw

There have been plenty of threads arguing for/against BGP-based vs.
LDP-based pw signaling.

Technically, modern kit should be able to scale well with either
solution. IMHO, it's just a case of what you find simpler.

Some folk find BGP-based signaling simpler than LDP-based signaling, and
vice versa.

Both are mature solutions today that will work and continue to be
well-supported.

We find LDP-based signaling simpler than having this in BGP, considering
all that is needed is just to setup a simple p2p pw. We don't do VPLS,
and don't do l3vpn's either, so don't rely that much on BGP for anything
else beyond vanilla iBGP/eBGP routing.

Mark.