[j-nsp] Segment Routing Real World Deployment (was: VPC mc-lag)

Alexandre Guimaraes alexandre.guimaraes at ascenty.com
Sat Jul 7 11:45:33 EDT 2018

Saku,

Mark is correct, l2circuits are end-to-end services where uptime is based at the termination points,
Inside the backbone, every l2circuits works under LSP with FRR, so...  from on point to another, LSP can search the best route, put in place a second best route(standby), how many routes you want...

If we experience some degraded fiber/service, checking the LSP, we know where to look. And after disabling that segment of network, all problem solved.

Tshoot time decreased to few minutes only, and this makes everyone happy.

VPLS is very good when you use one port per customer, 1/10Gb, when you have to set trunk ports of 10Gb and put lots of vlan in a VC of 5to10 QFX switches,  things gone wild...  one error, a l2 loop will shut every customer inside that distribution POD.

Think that layer2 still inside the vpls instance inside the MX routers and drop down to the VC. You can loop easily, yes, here, ops team did l2 loop two times in one year, dropping more than 500 customers. With a big impact.... after the second, the order was to move to
L2circuits, Mac learning and so one still resides at cpe equipment, and the core still clean.

I’m just sharing my operational experience and fears, quality of services offered... we provide last mile connect from carriers like Verizon, Orange, Algar, British Telecom and so on... so quality of service and availability is the rule of the business. Also we provide l2circuits of 10/40/100Gbps for ISP over here. So, quality and uptime is the focus.

ELS cli bring me some problem with QinQ L2TP services since it doesn’t works, also with the RTG, doesn’t work to, cause that I still using ex2200, ex3300.

About those Aristas, I don’t have notice if some one use them as a P router or if they have xconnect/l2circuits services, even local Arista dealer knows.... we have some Aristas working only with layer2/3 for colocation services inside our datacenters facilities.

att
Alexandre