[j-nsp] Segment Routing Real World Deployment (was: VPC mc-lag)

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sat Jul 7 17:21:11 EDT 2018

Hey,

> Not everyone have MX960, MX480 handling BGP in every part of the network, I don’t have...  I have QFX, hundreds of them. Now imagine in some MX, you have 5/6 full routing table coming from upstream or peerings partners. Now experience a flap between two of those MX exchanging full routing table for a entire night....
> At some point, routing engines become angry and stop updating routes(normally, MX have a baaad routing update rate). Doomsday have arrived!

I understand that, but I feel like this is specific to your
implementation, not a general thing. Obviously BGP should not be
flapping, neither should LDP, if all the iBGP sessions carrying the
pseudowire label are flapping, of course there is outage, if LDP is
flapping, of course there is outage.
If you have full-mesh iBGP topology, you have no redundancy, single
flap is outage, it's quite scary (nor can you change AFIs without
outage). But in RR scenario, single iBGP flap does not mean customer
observable outage.

--
  ++ytti