[j-nsp] Segment Routing Real World Deployment (was: VPC mc-lag)

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Sun Jul 8 04:34:24 EDT 2018

On 7/Jul/18 23:54, Aaron Gould wrote:

> Thanks Mark, I haven't been aware of any buffer deficiency in my
> 4550's.  If something adverse is occurring, I'm not aware.

The EX4550 has only 4MB of shared buffer memory. The EX4600 has only 12MB.

You need the "set class-of-service shared-buffer percent 100" command to
ensure some ports don't get starved of buffer space (which will manifest
as dropped frames, e.t.c.).

The Arista 7280R series switches have 4GB of buffer space on the
low-end, all the way to 8GB, 12GB, 16GB, 24GB and 32GB as you scale up.

> Thanks for the warning about large VC... I don't really intend on
> going past the (2) stacked.  After we outgrow it, I'll move on.

We are dropping the VC idea going forward. Simpler to just have enough
bandwidth between a switch and the router that you can predict.

Mark.