[j-nsp] Segment Routing Real World Deployment (was: VPC mc-lag)

Pavel Lunin plunin at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 19:13:27 EDT 2018

Hi experts,

I had a pleasure time reading the whole thread. Thanks, folks !

Honestly, I also (a bit like Saku) feel that Alexandre's case is more about
throwing the *unneeded* complexity away than about BGP vs. LDP.

The whole story of Kompella-style signaling for L2VPN and VPLS is
auto-discovery in a multi-point VPN service case.

But yes, there is the whole bunch of reasons why multi-point L2 VPN sucks,
and when bridged it sucks 10x more. So if you can throw it away, just throw
it away and you won't need to discuss how to signal it and auto-discover
remote sites.

And yes, as pseudo-wire data plane is way simpler than VPLS, depending on
your access network design, you can [try to] extend it end-to-end, all the
way to the access switch and [maybe, if you are lucky] dramatically
simplify your NOC's life.

However p2p pseudo-wire service is a kind of rare thing these days. There
are [quite a lot of] those poor folks who were never asked whether bridged
L2 VPN (aka VPLS) is needed in the network, they operate. They have no much
choice.

BGP signaling is the coolest part of the VPLS hell (some minimal magic is
required though). In general I agree with the idea that iBGP stability is
all about making the underlaying stuff simple and clean (IGP, BFD, Loss of
Light, whatever). Who said "policies"? For VPLS BGP signaling? Please don't.

And yes, switching frames between fancy full-feature PEs is just half of
the game. The autodiscovery beauty breaks when the frames say bye bye to
the MPLS backbone and meet the ugly access layer. Now you need to switch it
down to the end-point and this often ends up in old good^W VLAN
provisioning. But it's not about BGP, it's about VPLS. Or rather about
those brave folks, who build their services relying on all these
ethernet-on-steroid things.

--
Kind regards,
Pavel