[j-nsp] How to maintain scripts

Jason Healy jhealy at logn.net
Fri Jul 13 08:22:36 EDT 2018

On Jul 13, 2018, at 4:43 AM, amorsen at orion.amorsen.dk wrote:

> Maintaining scripts is a bit of a pain.
>
> Do you have scripts on most of your devices?

We do, but we're a campus not a provider, so:

- we don't upgrade code versions often
- things are pretty homogenous (except for ELS vs non-ELS switches)

We make a lot of use of groups and templating so that the unique part of the config stays small.  We reference the scripts from the group config, and use version numbers in the script names so we can have multiple versions of the same script on the device at the same time and reference them as the config changes.

Finally, I crufted up some perl to help with copying and deploying the script versions to all the REs in the field so we don't have to do it manually on each switch.  I believe we could reference the scripts from a central web server, but things don't change often enough and I like having a manual step in the process (for the moment) as this is relatively recent.

Jason