[j-nsp] Egress Protection/Service Mirroring

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Sun Jul 15 09:02:32 EDT 2018

On 15 July 2018 at 11:12,  <adamv0025 at netconsultings.com> wrote:
> @James is on my todo list so maybe we can exchange notes, (I plan on using
> it in RSVP-TE environment so the added complexity will be only marginal).
> Yes I've been waiting for this feature for quite some time in cisco (got
> promises that maybe on SR) -maybe you can dig some of the old threads I had
> with Oliver Boehmer on this

Thanks Adam. Interesting, I'm in a split mind - It looks helpful in
certain scenarios where HA/FRR is required end-to-end (i.e. CE-PE,
PE-P, P-P, PE-PE etc.). There are still "black spots" in existing FRR
mechanisms however, this feature seems too complex for widespread
deployment to me (i.e. using this for every L3 VPN customer seems too
much additional complexity) but, if like us you provide VoIP to the
emergency services for example, then in those specific cases it seems
it could be a reasonable exception for some added complexity, to fill
in the end-to-end FRR black spots.

Interesting what you say about Cisco - I'll reach our to our SE during
the week to see if he can shed any light on this. Seeing as only
Juniper seem to support draft-minto and we're mixed C/J network it's a
definite no go without multi-vendor support. Having said that
though...

On 15 July 2018 at 12:55, Krzysztof Szarkowicz <kszarkowicz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Egress protection was presented at NANOG71:
>
> https://pc.nanog.org/static/published/meetings/NANOG71/1451/20171004_Szarkowicz_Fast_Egress_Protection_v1.pdf
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZn4qq3FcU&index=69&t=0s&list=UUIvcN8QNgRGNW9osYLGsjQQ
>
> Another bing name, who implemented it in the network, was mentioned at NANOG
> (check the preso). They are using it for L3VPN protection.

Thanks for the info Krzysztof. I will read through the slides during
the week - eating cake and sun bathing right now...

I was originally refering to
draft-minto-2547-egress-node-fast-protection-03, is
draft-shen-mpls-egress-protection-framework-07 majorly different off
the top of your head? I'll read that draft during the week as well as
your slides and check for my self, looking at the table of contents
though there seems to be clear overlap.

So we have Juniper + France Telecom on draft-minto and Juniper +
Huawei + Orange + RtBrick + T-Systems/DTAG on the drat-shen document,
all using this/these feature(s) on Juniper. So which draft is
implemented in the Juniper.net documents I linked, anyone know?

It makes me feel very confident that opening these features to testing
in our lab wouldn't be a waste of time, all operators are an order of
magnitude larger than us, maybe even two orders. However, without
Cisco support is a no go - we can't have vendor specific technologies
so we definitely need to give Cisco a bump.

Cheers,
James.