[j-nsp] Egress Protection/Service Mirroring

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 04:51:01 EDT 2018

On 15 July 2018 at 19:20, Krzysztof Szarkowicz <kszarkowicz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> https://pc.nanog.org/static/published/meetings/NANOG71/1451/20171004_Szarkowicz_Fast_Egress_Protection_v1.pdf
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoZn4qq3FcU&index=69&t=0s&list=UUIvcN8QNgRGNW9osYLGsjQQ
>> I was originally refering to
>> draft-minto-2547-egress-node-fast-protection-03, is
>> draft-shen-mpls-egress-protection-framework-07 majorly different off
>> the top of your head? I'll read that draft during the week as well as
>> your slides and check for my self, looking at the table of contents
>> though there seems to be clear overlap.
>
> [Krzysztof] In the meantime, these drafts migrated to draft-ietf-mpls-egress-protection-framework, so please look just at  draft-ietf-mpls-egress-protection-framework. The current version is draft-ietf-mpls-egress-protection-framework-01 (expiring Dec 2018).
>> So which draft is
>> implemented in the Juniper.net documents I linked, anyone know?
>
> [Krzysztof] Juniper implements draft-ietf-mpls-egress-protection-framework. I am not in the position to comment on what is implemented by other vendors/operators. Deutsche Telekom (DT) is co-authoring the draft-ietf-mpls-egress-protection-framework,  and the world-wide first ever deployment of MPLS egress protection for L3VPNs (as mentioned in NANOG71 slide deck) was implemented at DT couple of years ago. It works perfectly since then, giving ~50 ms failover during PE failures.

[JB] Thanks for all the info Krzysztof. I've read the draft and
everything is clear to me now. It turns out I already had it under the
name "draft-ietf-mpls-egress-protection-framework" in my inbox from
the IETF WG mailing list and hadn't gotten round to reading it yet. I
might have some feedback on the draft, in which case, I will post back
to the WG mailing list.

I have found PR1278535 with Juniper so I can see that bugs are being
fixed for this feature which is good to know.

I'll speak to Cisco to see if they plan on adopting the draft too.

Cheers,
James.