[j-nsp] EX4200 virtual chassis problem, master going into linecard mode

Pavel Lunin plunin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 10:47:19 EDT 2018

> > in a virtual chassis you could add:
> >
> > set virtual-chassis no-split-detection
> >
> > This will ensure that if both VC ports go down, the master routing
> engine carries on working.
>
> Are you referring to "Scenario B" in
> https://kb.juniper.net/InfoCenter/index?page=content&id=KB13879 ?
> or a different case?

I don't like to explain what others say but I think yes. It's been known
behavior since always: in a two-member VC always disable split-detection.
You can google for other threads on this in this list.

It's always been kind of poorly documented. Last time I checked the docs,
instead of just writing clearly that it must be disabled in two-members
mode, they "don't recommend" it with some kind of hand-waving explanation
that if you estimate that the backup RE failure probability is higher that
a split-brain condition blah-blah-blah... Just disable split-detection,
that's it :)