[j-nsp] Force a reboot from the serial console?

Tore Anderson tore at fud.no
Fri Jun 1 02:58:19 EDT 2018

* Saku Ytti

> I hope there are plans to introduce lights out port in future.

Indeed. I can't imagine adding a standard BMC with serial over LAN and
chassis control features can add many much to the overall manufacturing
cost, so it is beyond me why it's not standard on networking equipment
as well. Pretty much every server produced in the last decade includes a
BMC and there's a very good reason why.

I really detest having to deal with two different management cables
(Ethernet + RS232) for each of my network devices, especially
considering that the end result is so clearly inferior to the single
BMC-connected Ethernet cable you'd use in a regular server. We don't buy
servers without BMCs. Period. So for me, having a BMC would be an
important differentiator when making procurement decisions for
networking equipment as well.

Tore