[j-nsp] Force a reboot from the serial console?

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jun 1 05:33:12 EDT 2018

On 1 June 2018 at 09:58, Tore Anderson <tore at fud.no> wrote:

Hey Tore,

> cost, so it is beyond me why it's not standard on networking equipment
> as well. Pretty much every server produced in the last decade includes a
> BMC and there's a very good reason why.

AFAIK (please correct me if I'm wrong). Only Cisco is doing this, and
even they struggle internally with it, because it does add bit of
cost, thermal and front-plate density. Cisco's been going on and off
and on again with CMP port, often citing lack of customer demand when
they remove CMP port, but then it keeps popping back on.

To all j-nsp folk, when you go to EBC or meet account team about
up-coming platforms, please do tell that you want lights out port,
with own CPU and memory. Do not ask for high cost things, do not ask
moon from the sky, like do not ask for gigabytes of storage on the OOB
control-plane.
We can certainly make this happen, only reason why vendors don't do
this, is because we're not asking for it. It might be useful to cite
common document I think Mikael Abrahamson has worked on such document,
but it may need some TLC.

--
  ++ytti