[j-nsp] How does internal communication between vMX virtual control plane and virtual forwarding plane work?

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 04:17:52 EDT 2018

On 4 June 2018 at 13:46, Martin T <m4rtntns at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!

> When I deploy a vMX using orchestration scripts, then I end up with
> following virtualized topology:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/bBTXGM0.png
>
> Now when I execute "file copy root at 192.168.122.1:/tmp/1G_file
> /dev/zero" in vMX, then I can see that traffic traverses
> virbr0[ge-0.0.0-vmx1] <-> [ge-0/0/0]vcp-vmx1[em1] <->
> [vcp-int-vmx1]br-int-vmx1[vfp-int-vmx1] <-> [int]vfp-vmx1. Am I
> misunderstaning this? Or does it really work in a way that first the
> VM running Junos receives the traffic, then forwards it to VM running
> virtualized Trio and then the traffic is forwarded back to Junos VM?

Have I missed something in relation to your topology/config; ge-0/0/0,
is that meant to provide you with management access to the VCP or is
it supposed to be a forwarding place interface? If the later,
shouldn't it be connected to the VFP VM and not the VCP VM (assuming
you are trying to access the control plane over an in-band/forwarding
plane interface)?

Cheers,
James.