[j-nsp] MX480

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Tue Jun 19 11:03:07 EDT 2018

Hey Rei,

Great catch.

We have this:
        term rsvp:self_ping {
            from {
                source-prefix-list {
                    rsvp_neighbors;
                }
                protocol udp;
                destination-port 8503;
            }
            then {
                count rsvp:self_ping;
                accept;
            }

This is really great feature, because previously make-before-break was
based on timer, with no idea if actually new LSP has been established or if
old LSP is no longer used. So it could very easily lead to situation where
you push traffic to new LSP which isn't working or remove old LSP still
being used.

self_ping removes the problem of pushing traffic to LSP which is not up yet
and 'optimize-adaptive-teardown' removed problem of removing LSP still
being used. Making both sides triggered instead of arbitrary timer.

On Tue, 19 Jun 2018 at 17:56, Rei Alexandra Aoyama <rei.a.aoyama at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> 16.1R7 or 17.3R3 should be good. If you use MPLS RSVP, make sure you look
> up MPLS self-ping which is a new feature in 16.1 - especially if you have
> lo0 firewall. Otherwise you will have issue with LSP switchover. I think
> there is a PSN on that. I will look it up.
>
> ReiA
>
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2018 at 4:34 AM Ian Goodall <bbaa4570 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> >
> > Were looking to upgrade JUNOS on some of our older PE MX480/960 running
> pre
> > 15 code. We've had success on the 17.x train in P roles.
> >
> > 15.1 is recommended by JTAC but it's EOL in under 12 months.
> >
> > Historically picking a recent version with a high R release was always a
> > good starting point. The release strategy has changed somewhat and most
> > versions now don't go beyond R2.
> >
> > What's everyone deploying currently?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > IG