[j-nsp] Spine & leaf

David Sinn dsinn at dsinn.com
Mon Jun 25 14:19:02 EDT 2018

At most networks scale you won't notice the difference, but OSPF will also converge faster then BGP at very large scale.  Adding on top the costs of re-using AS's in a eBGP world, verses mutual-RR with iBGP, having a good summarization plan with OSPF is a bit more trivial and retains a overall net smaller configuration on-box even if you are generating it programatically.  The concerns about chattiness is also overblown as even Quagga can keep up with massive Leaf/Spine deployments on really small CPU's in a only OSPF world.

I would caution that the auto-discovery can also have a downside as it more readily opens you up to mis-cabling, which can be fairly negative in a Leaf/Spine topology.  It's one of the reasons Cumulus came up with PTM so that you can deploy a described version of your topology and have the device alert/react when the actual version is different.  Some embodiment of that is useful, but need not be on-box.

David