[j-nsp] Router for full routes

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jun 27 14:52:30 EDT 2018

On 27/Jun/18 20:24, Josh Richesin wrote:

> What are people using now days for core routers with about 100 BGP sessions with about 10 of them being full routes?   We have an MX104 that is actually doing it, however people are having issues and that is scaring me a bit.  We are looking at upgrading it to 10G, but the cost is crazy as well.

So our core is BGPv4-free, as traffic is all MPLS forwarded. We do,
however, hold the IPv6 BGP table in the core.

At any rate, that many number of full table sessions on the MX104 is
scary. I'd seriously consider another option sooner rather than later.

If your forwarding requirements are simple, you're likely to get away
with whatever fast, cheap Broadcom-based router Cisco, Arista or Juniper
are pushing out today. But, test, test, test. Broadcom chips for service
routers is tricky; but could be more forgiving for a simple core function.

Mark.