[j-nsp] Mixing v4/v6 neighbors in BGP groups

Rob Foehl rwf at loonybin.net
Fri Jun 29 16:26:25 EDT 2018

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018, Mark Tinka wrote:

> I prefer not to find out whether walking on hot coal will kill all
> feeling in my feet, or just numb them for 2hrs :-).

So...  Is that a vote for or against, and which one? ;)

On Fri, 29 Jun 2018, Job Snijders wrote:

> For the purpose of inter-domain routing I'd advise against mixing warm
> mayonnaise and jagermeister. uh.. i mean IPv4 and IPv6.
>
> Keeping things separate maybe makes debugging easier.

I may have been insufficiently specific...  I'm referring to:

group example {
     neighbor 192.0.2.0;
     neighbor 2001:db8::;
}

vs.

group example-ipv4 {
     neighbor 192.0.2.0;
}

group example-ipv6 {
     neighbor 2001:db8::;
}

The former is (operationally) simpler to deal with, until it isn't --
think "deactivate group example", etc.  I'm tempted to just be explicit
about the split everywhere, but I already spend enough time explaining
that there are two of everything and it's been that way for a while now...

-Rob