[j-nsp] Publish API data over SNMP

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Mar 8 11:15:30 EST 2018

Hey,

> I'm not an snmp-head, but something could certainly be done here.
> I see two issues, one being the need for a formal MIB where our
> content evolves release-to-release.  Making per-release MIBs would
> be a pain, and I'm not sure how well tools would handle those.  A
> "generic" MIB might be suitable, where the key is the RPC (and it's
> arguments?) and the fields are the results of the RPC.

As a user I'd be comfortable at stability which matches display
XML/JSON stability, and I think that level of stability would be
implied.

All this relies on my assumption that JNPR is machine generating
JSON/XML stuff automatically for new commands, and 100% coverage is
guaranteed. If this is true, same way this CLI-MIB could be machine
generated.

In practice I rarely use MIBs, and if CLI would offer 'show
class-of-service fabric statistic | display oid', that would be good
enough for me. So not even having MIB wouldn't bother me. My only use
case for MIBs is when I try to find what OID to poll, actual tooling
does not load MIBs.

> The second issue (which is mostly my lack of snmp depth) is how
> to ensure the results of multiple queries are given data from the
> same RPC results.  Looking at "show chassis environment" results
> should give consistent output.

I'm not sure I understand the problem or question.

--
  ++ytti