[j-nsp] Managing large route-filter-lists

Brian Rak brak at gameservers.com
Mon May 21 11:46:20 EDT 2018

What is the best way to manage large numbers of large route-filter-lists
effectively?

We've been generating per-peer route-filter-lists based on IRR data, and
longer and longer, and that we're hitting weird junos errors around the
configuration database.

Right now, we have a 200k+ line config, which ends up being around 8mb.
This is on a QFX10008, so I would expect it to have sufficient CPU power
to handle this.

We're already aggregating prefix lists down to the smallest possible
size (with heavy use of upto), so I can't really think of any reductions
there.

Should I just expect commits to take multiple minutes here?  Even with a
60s timeout, we end up failing to commit some of these updates.