[j-nsp] Managing large route-filter-lists

Brian Rak brak at gameservers.com
Tue May 22 10:09:58 EDT 2018

On 5/22/2018 2:48 AM, Pavel Lunin wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> Anyone knows if this "ephemeral configuration" thing is just a new
> fancy hipster-ish name of the dynamic database feature, which has been
> in JUNOS since 9.x and never really been widely used in production by
> normal people?
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Pavel

It's a little bit different from what I can see.  The ephemeral
databases go away on device reboot, and you can seemingly configure
anything you want in them (versus dynamic databases, which are limited
to just a few BGP related configs, from what I see).

They seem to be a full overlay config as well.

For example, the main config has:

set protocols bgp group to_AMSIX neighbor 80.249.211.140 import AMSIX-IX-in

and the ephemeral config has :

set protocols bgp group to_AMSIX neighbor 80.249.211.140 import
ps-AS13335-v4-in
set protocols bgp group to_AMSIX neighbor 80.249.211.140 import AMSIX-IX-in

and then if we look at show bgp neighbor:

Import: [ ps-AS13335-v4-in AMSIX-IX-in ]

I don't think you could do this with the dynamic db, at least according
to the documentation.